Friday, March 13, 2009

One Step Forward

Some days seem like what I have learned about behavior modifications has been disintegrated and doesn’t exist – while other days that are so awesome I wonder why every day can’t be like it. I titled this blog one step forward and knowing that somewhere down the road I will be posting one that is titled two steps back but acknowledging there will be another step forward.

I was told this week there is a good possibility if M was diagnosed appropriately at an earlier age he probably would have been labeled autistic – a much lower functioning individual. Well, that is both good and bad news. The good news is his Asperger’s diagnosis only came two years ago so I must have been doing something right to have his diagnosis of Asperger’s now after struggling for 7 years without knowing anything. Meaning that the treatment I was giving him at home without any knowledge of autism literally helped M otherwise he would still be non-verbal, everyday 3 to 4 times a day raging, etc. I look back on all the doctor appointments I had for his behavior problems and it was literally written in black and white (testing, evaluations, assessments, doctor reports etc) all the typical symptoms of a autistic child but for some reason it just wasn’t diagnosed as such. (He was being treated psychologically for his behavior since age 4 and not for autistic behaviors (He is now age 11). The two are really different because I truly believe an autistic child does NOT have a behavior disorder but acts out in a behavioral way because of sensory issues). The two are treated so much differently. I pat myself on the back for the effort I have put forth to get M to the point he is now. I am no way saying that M does not have behavior difficulties, but I think the way they were being targeting should have been redirected in a different way. The bad part of that statement is M could have been receiving much needed treatment in an autistic way and we could be beyond the challenges I currently am enduring. But that is neither here or there now and hence the reason why I say one step forward. His disorder is now more recognized both at the school and in therapy and treatment is being adjusted accordingly.

M has been discharged from physical therapy as the therapist strongly feels that most of his struggles are more related to sensory issues. I am still learning everything about sensory issues and to help us all we have increased his occupational therapy to twice a week. When M would cover his ears and scream during a fireworks show, thunderstorm, really struggle during a trip to the carnival that is supposed to be fun, a trip to the grocery store more times than I can count ended up walking out because of him raging, eating at a restaurant and having difficulties, purposely throwing himself down on the ground, walking into the walls, having a meltdown because the cereal he would eat everyday wasn’t replaced when we ran out, wants to wear 7 shirts and hoodies to school, walks on his toes, could not grasp how to tie shoes or color within the lines – and the list could go on and on – all this is due to sensory issues which is very common in children on the autistic spectrum. With the increase in OT and goals to work toward, I really feel all this is one step forward that will be bringing M more in touch with his needs and allow for his outburst to seek these needs to be diminished significantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment