Saturday, April 4, 2009

April Fool's Day

Ok, so we are four days into April and the 1st has come and gone. But the memories I have of this April Fool's day in previous years are so vivid. I escaped this year with no pranks - a few jokes from the boys - but now relieved as on the 1st I walked around literally on egg shells waiting for a prank. By the way, M continues to joke each day trying to fool us - his understanding is it that APRIL Fool's Day is all month long - each day has to be it because all days are in April.

The first memory that comes to life - and I mean come to life - as I can see, feel and smell this prank. You will understand the smell part in a minute. We were living in NC at the time and my two older kids thought it would be so cool to prank mom out. They set up this prank the night before to catch me off guard first thing in the morning. But the morning was much earlier than all expected. I woke up around 2 am with the worse stomach cramps. Rushing to the bathroom doubled over, I sit down on the jon and expel what was causing the cramping. OMG - but unknowst to me the toilet was saran wrapped and all that SHOULD have dropped and mixed with the water in the bowl was now mixed all over me. I am sure C and J would of loved to see my reaction - well maybe they wouldn't have cause my demeanor wasn't something they would of liked. The smell was notorious - showering at 2 in the morning wasn't what I expected especially when not feeling well. I am sure this prank will never be topped - but then again, I won't put it pass C and J to try something else.

I have this serious sensory issue (if you want to call it that) with cotton balls. I CAN'T stand them, the feel - the sound of rubbing it together etc. I will go to all lengths not to touch it if I can. But that didn't matter to my dear neighbors in NC. They went to all lengths to cover my top sheet of my bed with cotton balls and remake the bed so I wouldn't notice. That night as I readied myself for bed I threw back the covers and I am not kidding - there had to be hundreds of cotton balls that needed to be plucked from my bed. I can still see myself freaking out to this day. I visioned myself having to remove each cotton ball one by one just to get to sleep. I started removing them with a pair of tongues (what you use to grab hotdogs with) but then realized it would take probably all night long to toss each one into the trash. I decided to just shake the sheets out and vacume them up. If I remember right it was over a month later that I continued to see a cotton ball here and there - kind of like those Christmas tree needles we find 6 months later still scattered throughout the house after the tree came down. That is how it was with the cotton balls. I vowed never to buy cotton balls again!

Paybacks are hell -- someday .........

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I clicked on your website from the krabbes message board. My son, Lekendric died on June 13,2008 from krabbes disease. He was 4 years old. I also have an 8 year old autistic son. If you would like to see my sons website it is www.caringbridge.org/visit/lekendricharris.my e-mail address is mashle3@aol.com. Sending up prayers for your family. God bless.
    Melissa Boice

    ReplyDelete