Thursday, February 5, 2009

My prayers was answered -- we got almost 6" of the snow. I had some time to enjoy it with D my outdoorsman, but M didn't want to go outside cause it was "too cold". Well, I will be getting him out this weekend as the temps are suppose to go in the mid-upper 50's (only to hear a possibility of another storm coming our way mid-month. We will see if this fans out). M started OT to help with his sensory issues and PT to help stretch muscles and to work on straightening out his feet. Finally - the therapist also observed him walking on his toes and his foot slapping. I have been trying to tell the docs since he was a toddler and it was always pushed aside saying he will grow out of it. Now only to find out his muscles are so tight hence the reason why he walks this way. It took me to literally go over the pediatricians head to get anywhere.

I watched CNN's report on Autism (click to read) and it literally brought tears to my eyes. When Mary (Melissa's mom) made the comment that really no one understands what you are going thru unless they have a child with autism is the truest words. We have the behavior consultant coming once a week and that has been a real struggle for M. Sometimes I wonder if having one come every day would be more of a benefit. This week was better than the last visit . Last week he was literally out of control for almost 3 hours and this is with Mr. S (behavior consultant) trying to work with him to calm him down. Hopefully this week is an indication that each week will get easier. The goal is to reduce his negative behavior by providing more positive reinforcement and for me to recognize his cues when frustration levels are increasing.


HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net

No comments:

Post a Comment